Research Project 2010-2015: Inventory of Naumburg cathedral, Central Germany
The cathedral of St. Peter and Paul in Naumburg, Germany, is one of the most important medieval monuments in Europe. This is also due to the excellent chief work of the so called ‚Master of Naumburg‘ who used to work here around 1250 AD. Starting the late Romanesque building in 1210/15 AD, the elongation of the eastern choir in 1320 AD finished the ambitious building project. The cathedral of Naumburg is surrounded by an impressive ensemble of chapels and donators curiae.
There has been a long term necessity of a contemporary inventory of the cathedral. In order to realize that purpose, the Vereinigten Domstiftern zu Merseburg, Naumburg und des Kollegiatstifts Zeitz (union of regional cathedral founders), the Landesamt für Denkmalpflege und Archäologie Sachsen-Anhalt (state heritage office) and the ERZ concluded a cooperation contract in May 2010. A new inventory shall replace the old and incomplete one by Heinrich Bergner (1903) as it especially helps to promote the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage application that is to be made in 2015/16.
According to content and executives, this research project stands in line with the earlier, successful inventory of the cathedral of Magdeburg (Brandl/Forster 2011). Next to its original purpose as a fundamental source book and bibliography, the inventory aims to be a major monography including a contemporary critical analysis of the building and condition of the cathderal of Naumburg.
Head of project:
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schenkluhn
Dr. Heiko Brandl
Oliver Ritter M.A.
Matthias Ludwig M.A.
Landesamt für Denkmalpflege und Archäologie Sachsen-Anhalt
Ernst von Siemens Kunststiftung
Zeit Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius