Working and conducting research in academia offer a lot of opportunities for networking and career planning. Today, the concept of a “job for life” is not valid in many professions and companies. However, as a highly skilled and qualified researcher there are a lot of career opportunities in economy and industry. Scientists should be able to transform their capabilities into job-oriented skills and career possibilities to connect themselves with potential employers. Career planning is as vital as planning experiments. Researchers need to be familiar with their skills, should know how to establish their own brand with self- marketing and develop a strategic view on the career landscape to be successful. The most important action researchers can do themselves is to take the lead in their career planning.
In this workshop participants will learn the rules of self-marketing, start to develop a first draft of an own skills’ profile as a basis for the management of the own career, learn about career-oriented networking and will develop a first draft of their imagination of their career paths. It will provide the participants with information, tools and resources to assist them in their career planning with focus on job opportunities in industry.
First day (18. July):
- Skills Audit: the PhD in the CV
- Self-marketing: being a competitor in the career market
- Developing an individual Comprehensive Skills‘ Profile
- Job profiles and opportunities in industry and economy
- Application processes, job interviews and assessment centers: what is important
- Enhancing employability: responsibilities and approaches
- Roadmap to career planning: steps and milestones on the way to a job
Second day (19. July)
- Individual advisory (45 min each participant)
- Theory Input
- Groupwork, role plays
- Reflective praxis with coaching- techniques
- Individual advisory
Terms and Applications
First day (18. July):
Group size: maximal 8
Workshop language: English
Venue: Resarch Academy Leipzig, Burgstr. 21, 04109 Leipzig SR: 1.11
Second day (19. July):
Individual advisory, time and venue will be selected at July 18th
Dr. Christine Issa – SAMIN oHG
Registration for the course completed.
Please contact sfb-trr-102-office(at)physik.uni-halle.de in case of questions.