Careers in German universities and research institutes are difficult. Towards the end of your PhD or at the beginning of your postdoctoral years you need to decide whether you like to continue your career up to the professor or if you leave academia and public funded research institutes. This step is difficult to the biggest part of PhD-students because until then they did not find or try alternative career paths.
In the workshop you will learn to go the different steps of job search: to be aware of your competencies, skills and knowledge and to build your career strategies based on them.
Doctoral students, PostDocs
- My competencies, skills and knowledge: How to be aware of them?
- German and international labour markets: How markets influence job search
- Private or public sector: Where should I go to?
- Until when should I leave academia, if I prefer to stay but I am not successful enough?
- Where do I find jobs for scientists – jobs that suit me?
- Career search strategies
- How networks help to get jobs soon
- How to read job ads?
- What does “career” mean? How to plan and how to develop my career
- Life goals and career paths – how to make them fit together?
Please bring an internet-enabled device with you – we will need it for the job search.
Terms and Applications
Date: February 4-5, 2019
Group size: maximal 12
Workshop language: English
Leipzig University, Research Academy Leipzig, SR4
Wächterstraße 30 (Villa Tillmann’s)
Dr. Matthias Schwarzkopf counsels students and scientists in all relevant questions concerning their careers. He has founded www.karriereberatung-akademiker.de together with colleagues out of public administration and private businesses.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in case of questions.