This module for physicists and chemists introduces the basic concepts in molecular spectroscopy, i.e. Infrared (IR), (surface enhanced) Raman- with imaging options and Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy (BDS), Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Optical Microscopy, Superresolution Microscopy and Single Molecule Fluorescence Detection.
The physical foundation of Infra-Red (IR) Spectroscopy and Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy (BDS), Raman-, Surface Enhanced Raman-, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) and Single Molecule Fluorescence Detection in the solid state, Light Scattering and surface sensitive spectroscopies with imaging options (Nanoscopy) will be presented in detail and some of its modern applications will be discussed. Additionally lab courses will be organized with demonstration experiments.
The quantum mechanical foundation of Infrared Spectroscopy; Experimental principles of Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy; the principle of Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy; modern Applications of Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy; discussion of the chemical shift Hamiltonian with isotropic and anisotropic parts in NMR spectroscopy, the influence of sample orientation and molecular dynamics on the NMR signals, magic angle spinning, requirements for single molecule fluorescence detection at low and room temperature, optical microscopy schemes as well as microscopic detection beyond the diffraction limit.
Recommendations for literature, e-learning
- C. E. Housecroft, E. C. Constable: “Chemistry”
- Pearson; P. W. Atkins: “Physical Chemistry”
- Haken, H.; Wolf, H.C. “Molecular Physics and Elements of Quantum Chemistry: Introduction to Experiments and Theory” (Series: Advanced Texts in Physics) (englisch) Springer, Berlin, 2004,
- K. Schmidt-Rohr & H. W. Spiess: “Multidimensional Solid-State NMR and Polymers” Academic Press, San Diego, 1994,
- F. Kremer & A. Schönhals: “Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy” Springer, Berlin, 2003
- Bräuchle, Lamb, Michaelis, “Single particle tracking and single molecule energy transfer”, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim 2010
- Rigler, Orrit, Basché , “Single molecule spectroscopy”, Springer, Berlin 2012
- Responsible scientists: F. Cichos, D. Huster, F. Kremer, Leipzig University
- date: March 16/17 2017
- time: 8:30-17:30/8:30-12:30
- location: Linnéstraße 5, Small Lecture Hall
- language: English
Registration for the course
Please send an email to email@example.com latest by March 3, 2017.